Ian drinks wine for a living and plans 50-100 public and private events a year. In 2020, Ian started ZoomIntoWine.com as a pivot during the pandemic, and ensued a bigger roll at Merchantofwine.com his families wine store. Ian stays busy with his families wine brand Beekeepercellars.com; buying collectable wines for high profile clients; planning luxury wine trips; and can not wait to return to planning private and corporate events. He also continues his wine studies, pursuing The Masters of Wine (MW) and other advanced credential offerings to help improve his craft.
In total, Ian has hosted over 1,000,000 students and event attendees in the past 20 years and maintains over 50,000 subscribers and followers. In 2021, LearnAboutWine re-launched as a hybrid website offering digital online wine classes, zoom based tastings, as well as local L.A. based live events. LearnAboutWine believes that the more you know, the more you will enjoy your wine experience…. And the better life you will lead.
Along the way, LearnAboutWine has now raised over $600,000 for charity partners with its famous STARSofwine.com events which continue to grow and gather amazing wine audiences.
To learn more, to sponsor, or to purchase tickets - please view the robust selections of offerings on the Calendar or email our office at TLC@LearnAboutWine.com
Keep up to date with Ian by following him on FacebookIan Blackburn Sommelier & Teacher
CSW, JWE, Founder - LearnAboutWine & wineLA
Professional Sommelier & Continuing Student at The Masters of Wine Institute - London
Start in wine/hospitality industry - Since 1989
NOTABLE LIFE EVENTS
- Graduated - Cal Poly Pomona - School of Hospitality Management - 1991
- Worked the Floor at Patina - Joachim Splichal & in Management at Checkers Hotel - Jerry Comfort & Thomas Keller - 1990-1993
- Wine Manager, William George/Young's Market Company - 1995 - 1997
- Southern California Regional for Kenwood Vineyards, Sonoma County - 1997 - 1999
- Introduction of Pinot Noir and restaurant only "Yulupa Vineyard" Product Line and 40% regional sales growth.
- Key Accounts, Hawaii Station Manager, Regional Key Account Manager: The Kobrand Corporation
- Louis Jadot, and Taittinger Educational Ambassador
- 1999 - 2005
- Started LearnAboutWine.com - 1995 - 2015 (first website dedicated to wine education) - 1997 started teaching WINE CAMP - now LA’s most successful intro to wine program
- Wrote first book - The Pleasure of Wine - Wiley Publications and Learning Annex- Released 2002
- Took LearnAboutWine from hobby to full time job - 2005
- Clients Deloitte, Bank of America, Wells Fargo, Countrywide, Disney and more.
- Appeared as a guest on ABC’s “The Bachelor”- “Officer and a Gentleman” 2007
- Awarded “Distinguished Alumnus” from Cal Poly Pomona - 2008
- Rebranded to wineLA- 2016
- Started Beekeeper Cellars - Zinfandel Producer- 2009 our first vintage
wineLA.com - Events + Classes (Now Moved Over to LearnAboutWine.com)
LearnAboutWine.com - Online Wine Education + Events + Classes
BeekeeperCellars.com - Personal Label
Beekeeper Cellars - Winemaker/Founder
Merchant of Wine - Buyer/Consultant